Tuesday, August 13, 2019

WHEN LIVES TOUCH


Charles T. "Chuck" Newmyer
July 31, 1935 - July 22, 2014

It is my recollection that I first met Charles Newmyer on the first day of school, September of 1945, when we ended up in the same fifth grade class at Whittier Elementary School in Long Beach, California.  From Whittier we went on to Alexander Hamilton Jr. High School and then finally to Long Beach Poly.  The picture above is from "Caerulea", our class of 1953 yearbook.  And then through the years as we met again at school reunions, this is how I remember Chuck.

But in a funny coincidence, he and I met shortly after his birth.  It's a short tale.  In the Baby Book that my mother kept for me, there were several notes about the made-up word "VELDERP."  Mother told me that before I was born, there was a group of young married women living near each other, and having no money for entertainment because the Great Depression was still hurting everyone, they formed a little weekly social club.  Whoever had tea to share would bring it.  Bread and butter often substituted for crumpets.  These young ladies made up the name for their club by using the initial of their first names.  Virginia was my mom......and L was Lois Newmyer.  When I was born on June 26, 1935, my baby book says that Lois Newmyer gave me my first dress!  I am sure that the next month when Lois Newmyer gave birth to Charles, my mother gave him.....well.....probably a pair of pants and a shirt. I never thought to ask my mother about that.  But I did ask mother if she took me to the party given when Lois had her baby and she said she certainly did!  

Mother and Lois reconnected 10 years later when mother learned that there was a boy named Charles Newmyer in my 5th grade class. On occasion through the rest of our schooling, Chuck and I kidded each other about out "long" friendship.

Then at our 60th class reunion in late October of 2013,, Chuck was scheduled to come, but he fell ill and postponed his visit.  Sadly, It was in 2014 that he passed away.

Chuck graduated from UCLA with a BS degree in mechanical engineering in 1958.  After several early jobs in that field, he had a 32-year career at the Naval Weapons Center near China Lake.  He retired in 1994.  In addition to his professional work, he also was a lifelong fisherman and eventually opened the High Sierra Flyfisher Business in Ridgecrest in 1982.
A full obituary can be found online.  



It is hard to know that one's long-time friends are no longer around.  I have lots of good (and early) remembrances of Chuck Newmyer.  Rest-In-Peace, my friend!


No comments:

Post a Comment